Modern Warfare 2 made $550 million in sales in the first five days of its release, breaking all previous first-to-five day entertainment industry box office records, according to developer Activision.
Activision compared their revenue figures with other entertainment record-breakers (books, movies, video games):
- The (previous) largest five-day worldwide video game sales record: Grand Theft Auto IV (6 million units, $500 million)
- The (previous) largest first-day worldwide video game sales record: Grand Theft Auto IV (3.6 million units, $310 million)
- The largest five-day opening worldwide box office: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince ($394 million)
- The largest five-day opening domestic box office: The Dark Knight ($203.8 million)
- The largest opening first-day domestic box office: The Dark Knight ($66.4 million)
- The largest first-day book sales: Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows ($220 million)
- More than 2.2 million unique gamers played Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 in one day on November 10. A new one-day record for Xbox LIVE.
- More than 5.2 million multiplayer hours were logged playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on the first day alone.
- More than 11 million Achievements were unlocked on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on the first day.