The pay-TV provider’s TV Everywhere technology enables customers to watch live and recorded TV anytime, anywhere using the app in concert with an Internet-connected DISH receiver and a Sling Adapter.
On the iPad, DISH offers the added ability to stream thousands of titles from Blockbuster’s on-demand library of titles and premium networks.
In addition, the DISH app lets customers with an iPad access shows recorded using PrimeTime Anytime, an exclusive feature found on the DISH Hopper DVR. It allows customers, with one click, to record all of the primetime TV programming on ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC in high definition.
The Dish iPad app improves video quality, particularly on the new iPad 3′s Retina display, with the implementation of Apple’s HTTP live streaming (HLS) technology. The app features simple on-screen browsing that provides a responsive entertainment experience, including:
- A multi-tasking slider that allows users to simultaneously watch a program and, with the swipe of a finger, browse available video content without interrupting the current program on screen.
- A DVR tab that includes a PrimeTime Anytime section, allowing DISH customers with the new Hopper to watch on their iPad the primetime shows from ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC recorded on their DVR.
- A Blockbuster @Home-branded tab that allows users to quickly access thousands of on-demand movies and children’s programs for DISH customers who subscribe to this service.
- An On Demand tab that makes it easy for DISH customers to access on-demand titles from popular networks, including HBO, Cinemax, EPIX, Encore, Starz and MoviePlex.
- A Guide tab that has been visually enhanced and now uses color coding options to highlight select categories of programs, including movies, sports, shows, family and favorites selections.
But to watch live TV on the iPad, subscribers will need a Sling Adapter from DISH and a compatible broadband-connected DISH DVR.