Alcatel-Lucent’s Metro Cell Express solution combines the Alcatel-Lucent 9764 and 9768 Metro Radio Outdoor radios – with lightRadio Wi-Fi as an option to give subscribers automatic secure Wi-Fi connections – with leading Bell Labs and services expertise:
- Network planning – Alcatel-Lucent uses hotspot location tools to pinpoint the highest traffic levels within a small sector of a busy public area and analyses the cost and effort of providing power, backhaul and maintenance in that sector.
- Design and optimization methodology – takes into account a mobile operator’s goals and resources to deliver the best solution for each deployment scenario.
- Site acquisition services – including fulfilment of all regulatory and permit requirements.
- Provision of power supplies and backhaul – often located in non-traditional locations.
- Integrating and automatically configuring the metro cells with the cellular network – including equipment supplied by other vendors – using Bell Labs Self-Organizing Network (SON) algorithms.
- Managed Services – complements the operator’s workforce for network deployment integration, maintenance and benchmarking.
Alcatel-Lucent says their integrated lightRadio approach improves cell accessibility and reduces call drop rates by 83%. To date, Alcatel-Lucent has 39 commercial small cell deployment agreements and over 20 ongoing trials.