A NewTek TriCaster 860 is streaming live footage from the Antarctic from 19-year-old adventurer Parker Liautaud, who is aiming to set a new world speed record for a journey from the Antarctic coast to the South Pole.
A Toyota Hilux 6×6 truck is following the explorer and carries the communications gear. The communication system will employ two Iridium Pilot systems and a remote camera rig. The truck will not provide expedition support during the race to the Pole.
The 2013 Australasian Antarctic Expedition is also underway, with coverage on the Guardian’s Antarctica Live blog. In the spirit of Douglas Mawson’s original expedition of 1911, which was the first to send regular wireless messages from Antarctica, their website will publish daily updates from the expedition, sent daily tweets, pictures and videos from Guardian journalists taking part in the expedition.
The Antarctic is looking like rush hour during the 2013-14 season, with more than a dozen teams on expeditions, both assisted and solo. Other Antarctica expeditions this year include Antony Jinman’s walk to the South Pole solo for the 2013 ETE Teachers South Pole Mission. He will be in daily contact with schoolchildren from across the United Kingdom and will make films using the world’s first drone flights at the South Pole. Shackleton’s centenary re-enactment expedition follows the journey of the James Caird aboard the replica Alexandra Shackleton.
2013 South Pole teams
- Ben Saunders and Tarka L’Herpiniere UK, UK/FR, Cape Evans return journey
- Richard ParksUK, Hercules Inlet, solo
- Vesa Luomala FI, Hercules Inlet, solo
- Antony JinmanUK, Hercules Inlet, solo
- Marty and Chris FaganUSA, Ronne-Filchner Ice Shelf start
- Juan Menendez Granados, ES, Hercules Inlet, solo cycle
Unassisted, Supported (traverse):
- Geoff Wilson AU, Novo Runway – GSP – Hercules Inlet
- Faysal Hanneche FR, Novo Runway – GSP – Hercules Inlet
- Daniel Burton, USA, Hercules Inlet, cycle
- Carl Alvey(ANI guide) and Lewis Clarke, UK, Hercules Inlet
- Devon McDiarmid (CA, ANI guide), Joshua Hodgkinson (AU), Arabella Slinger (UK), and Wen Yuan (China), Ronne-Filchner Ice Shelf
- Willis Resilience: Doug Stoup (US, guide), Parker Liautaud (UK), car driver
- Walking With The Wounded last three degrees from Novo side (guides, Eric Philips, Inge Solheim and Conrad Dickinson. Three teams racing to the Pole.
Meanwhile, Elemental Technologies this week demonstrated full-frame 4K Ultra HD real-time video coding. Elemental wants to show the capabilities of an end-to-end workflow for processing HEVC content at 60 frames per second.
The Elemental Live video processing system received a 4Kp60 AVC video in MPEG-2 as the source, to encode and deliver a 4Kp60 HEVC output, rendered on an 84-inch Planar 4K TV. Elemental executives believe that sports will drive UHDTV/4K to deliver higher frame rates like 60 Hz.