The annual CommunicAsia exhibition and conference held 17-20 June 2014 in Singapore, runs concurrently with the BroadcastAsia and EnterpriseIT conferences. It’s the largest industry exhibition in the Asia-Pacific region and draws global industry brands to showcase technologies.
CommunicAsia will feature three thematic clusters: NXT Cities, NXT Enterprises and NXT Connected Services. Exhibitors include Bharti Airtel, Bhutan Telecom, China Telecom, Far EasTone, FPT Telecom, Saudi Telecom Company, TOT Public Company, U Mobile and more.
SatComm2014 will feature more than 160 global and regional satellite companies.
- AsiaSat says their AsiaSat 6 and AsiaSat 8 will expand capacity and services in C and Ku-band complementing AsiaSat 3S, AsiaSat 4, AsiaSat 5 and AsiaSat 7.
- MEASAT, the Direct to Home fleet supports leading DTH platforms in Malaysia, Brunei, India and Indonesia, providing multi-channel television services to over 18 million subscribers. MEASAT-5 can bridge connectivity in remote areas through broadband Internet, VOIP and IP multicast.
Iridium is introducing the first global data broadcast services – Iridium Burstsm enabling enterprises to send data to an unlimited number of device
- SingTel Satellite is offering a new eco-system for content delivery. I
- Thuraya SatSleeve provides access to phone calls, emails, instant messages and popular social media apps in satellite mode across 161 countries within its coverage network.
- ETL’s new StingRay RF over Fibre 100 series is a 1U rack mountable chassis housing 16 hot-swap transmit and receive RF over fibre modules for short distance links between satellite dishes and the teleport.
- Hughes will conduct technology workshops on high-throughput satellite technology
Meanwhile, at the 2014 GTI Asia Summit, China Mobile published two updated 4G white papers, and said the company was targeting 50 million 4G subscribers by the end of 2014. The company currently has 6.5 million LTE users, generating three times the standard ARPU.
Earlier this year there were 36 networks running on the TDD variant of LTE with 11 million subscribers globally. Huawei predicts number of TD-LTE subscribers in the world will reach 130 million by the end of this year, driven largely by China Mobile. More than 700,000 TD-LTE base stations will ship worldwide this year, up from 320,000 last year, with China Mobile accounting for 500,000 of the total.
China Mobile’s white paper outlines the requirements of the Next- Generation Converged platform for 2014-2015. China Mobile is trialling VoLTE services. AT&T, T-Mobile US, SingTel and HKT have also launched VoLTE services in recent weeks, with NTT Docomo set to join the pack imminently. Telcos will become big data companies or go out of business, says Totaltele.com.
TD-LTE 8-antenna technology can significantly increase coverage and provide a high TD-LTE data rate, according to China Mobile.